Monday, August 12, 2013

1st Retwist

1st retwist yesterday after exactly four weeks. I received two vigorous shampoos and sat with conditioner for about 15 minutes. My scalp was on cloud 9! Damian retwisted with his Loc n Curl spray and a barber comb in 15 minutes clipping as he went. I attempted to count the locs as he twisted each one. I lost count after 150 and may have skipped ahead 10 at some point so I'm thinking I have approximately 145-165 locs.


Top left - conditioning; Bottom row - post shampoo & conditioner; Top right - half way through retwist

After the speedy and precise retwist, I sat under the dryer then got a spray of carrot oil and was sent on my way. I did not bring up my wanting to shampoo after 2.5 weeks rather than waiting till I see him again in four weeks. While waiting for my appointment, I spoke to another client and she said she had no trouble making it four weeks so I thought I'd try again. This time, the plan is to spray my scalp with a light oil no more than twice a week. I went spray crazy last month and I also applied a coconut pomade laced with petroleum (yikes!)... I've since gotten rid of that product after reading in natural hair care forums and blogs about how one must avoid petroleum and parabens (whatever those are). We'll see if this strategy serves me better.

So, I expected a very different look after the retwist. I imagined twists just as plump as my starters and potentially longer but not by much. Instead, I got longer for sure but much skinnier twists with my original twists at the end - whichever ones survived the shampoo and conditioning. I feel like I got a relaxer going from a locfro to bone straight sections. Nevertheless, it didn't take me long to fall in love with the new look. Can't wait to see what the next four weeks bring.

Top left, top right & bottom center are fresh from the retwist. Bottom left and right are my starters for comparison.

Honestly, I don't understand why the hair is so different this time around. All the same, once I saw the result, I thought, "of course, this is how it looked on all those videos I watched and rewatched. Duh!" So, off I go to researching why the same part creates a much slimmer twist than the starter twist. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. "I lost count after 150 and may have skipped ahead 10 at some point..." Funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the other reason I didn't ask Damian any questions. I was too busy counting. #MessedUpPriorities lol

    ReplyDelete