Thursday, August 8, 2013

the first weeks

Week 1 - I loved my hair! I caught myself checking out my reflection as I passed store windows. Yeah, with this hair, I'm that girl. <giggle>
I sprayed oil that I had on hand every couple of days. Not sure if this was wise or not and if it contributed to the horrible state of my scalp at the end of week 2 as referenced in my first post. TBD...

Week 2 - I got cute accessories from Claire's & Target (flower pins and clips, head wraps and the like). I've had a blast accessorizing. Maybe it's cause it's new and maybe it's cause it's right but I'm so inspired with these babies. My sistah colleagues are calling me creative, what? LOL

Week 3 - The crown area started looking messy but the sides and back were in mint condition. My scalp was starting to drive me crazy and ideally I'd be washing my hair at this point if I weren't forbidden! I started scalp cleanses every few days and daily shakes to let out debris and other junk. Funny story - when I told one of my girlfriends that I was going to get locs she was surprised and she laughed as she reminded me of how, 2-3 years ago, she and I were walking behind a man with long mature locs and I quietly mentioned to her that something just fell out of his hair. I may have been judgmental and a little horrified. LOL and oh my gosh, karma? So I'm super paranoid about that being me. The idea of getting locs is completely brand new to me. Before this year and the transition, I had never imagined that I would wear this style. And now, I want to wear it at all costs - strange, right? Not if you too are bitten by the bug but definitely strange to those who aren't in that place. But I digress, where was I?

Week 4 - I write this on week 4 itself, 3 days away from my 1st re-twist appointment. This week, I've been wearing what I'm calling a locfro, named by a friend who's on this journey as well. I have tons of growth and of course I've been inadvertently loosening some coils with my scalp cleanses so there's looseness going on. But I love it still. And I'm thinking, please let this be the ugly phase that I've been warned about cause I don't mind it one bit!
Aight, picture time.

 
The background and pic on the right are fresh from the install. The pictures along the diagonal show the state of my babies at the beginning of week four. Bottom left and top right are back and side respectively and center is the disheveled crown.
 


In the center and bottom right, we have the loc fro as worn in week 4. The other 3 pics are from the 2nd and 3rd weeks.

As for my regimen which is all over the place right now and totally borrowed from YouTubers and fellow bloggers, I've been using oils that I've had on hand from my perm days (gasp?). I spritz my babies with a mix of water and essential oils when the hair looks dry. As I've mentioned, I'm doing Tea Tree Oil + water scalp cleanses every few days. Unless advised differently by Damian, I will continue this in month 2. Oh and I'll be asking (begging?) him for tips on doing my super gentle wash at 2.5-3 weeks post re-twist cause I can't do this no-shampoo-for-four-weeks thing again. Till next time!

3 comments:

  1. "I'm doing Tea Tree Oil + water scalp cleanses every few days. Unless advised differently by Damian." Sooo, what did he say gurl? I'm having an itchy fit right now as I type. Ugh! Anyhoo, another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't ask. I spoke to one of his clients while we waited and she said she always makes it four weeks without scalp issues by spraying a light oil twice a week like Damian instructs. She uses Black Queen Carrot Oil Sheen Spray which she purchased from him. So I thought that I might have the same luck if I do exactly that albeit, a different type of oil because I'm avoiding purchasing something new with every recommendation.
    I'm using Alikay Naturals Essential 17 Hair Growth Oil. It has Tea Tree Oil so I'm hoping applying this twice a week will spare me having to perform a cleanse but we'll see. Last month, it got really bad in week 3 so I'll know if I'm doing better next week.
    Hope you find relief for that itchy fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. I found your website by the use of Google even as searching for a similar topic, your site got here up. It seems good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back then.
    hair oil bottle

    ReplyDelete